http://www.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=27684744 ARTYFACTS: Day 3 - The Brighton Moment - not quite

Thursday, May 08, 2008

Day 3 - The Brighton Moment - not quite

You'd expect more from Julie Burchill and Peter James. Sorry to say I've never heard of Jeff Noon, Sam O'Reilley, Sue Roe, William Shaw, Dave Swann, Martine McDonagh, Susanna Jones, Alison Macleod. Of course, the fact that I've never heard of them means nothing. There's lots of good writers I've never heard of. However, the fact that was a disastrous evening is indisputable. Poor work read by poor readers. It was unbearable. God knows why you'd want to put these together into a book. This is vanity, or insanity publishing at its worst. Lots of people simply left at half time.

PS
Dan Raven falls into the category of 'I've heard of him, but not as a writer' category. He worked for me for seven years and appears to be on the bill because he's Julie Burchill's husband. That about sums it up.
Roy Grace

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Donald!
Very sorry you didn’t enjoy it (for my own part, and I’m not just saying this, I have to agree that it wasn’t my best work), but sorrier still that you were there the whole time and never even came up to say hello! I know Julie would have been very interested to meet you.
Maybe next time,
Dan
P.S: one ‘category’ too many in your P.S. Also, ‘there’s lots’ should be ‘there are lots’ and you’ve missed an ‘it’ in ‘the fact that was a disastrous evening’.
P.P.S: porage.

12:54 am  
Blogger Donald Clark said...

Daniel!
Don't be sorry. 'Hello' is not my thing. As you know I'm only interested in the work, not the workers!

10:57 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

I wouldn't dream of defending the BM but reading your blog I am concerned at how many people you haven't heard of. Obviously it's especially an outrage you haven't heard of me. Especially as you're on the board of a festival that commissioned me to do a major piece of work last year.

10:41 am  
Blogger Donald Clark said...

OUTRAGED! You're a very sesitive chap. I assume you're being ironic, William. If not - lighten up.

1:02 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ironic? I'm outraged you feel I'm being ironic.

2:06 pm  
Blogger Donald Clark said...

I think you're exhibiting the equivalent of 'Road rage' - let's call it 'Arts Rage'!

Are you seriously OUTRAGED that someone has never heard of you?

Doesn't the word 'narcissism' spring to mind?

2:16 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nah, I'm not outraged. I'm not in the slightest famous and have no desire to be. I'll have to signal my irony a little more loudly next time. But as someone in your position you really shouldn't go boasting about not having heard of Jeff Noon.

3:03 pm  
Blogger Donald Clark said...

Never heard of him. I feel a deep void within.

3:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home